SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Arrests made after Sydney gangland raids

NSW Police have arrested several people after a series of raids across Sydney as part of an investigation into the city's gangland warfare.

Sydney police raids
A file photo of a police raid in Sydney. Source: AAP

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Up to six people are believed to have been arrested as police conducted a string of raids across Sydney as part of their investigation into the city's gangland warfare.

The co-ordinated raids, which unfolded just after midday on Tuesday, are reportedly connected to the bloody execution of crime figure Pasquale Barbaro, who was shot down on an Earlwood footpath earlier this month.

About half a dozen people were arrested in the raids which took place at 13 properties, the ABC reports, including four at Sydney's Olympic Park.

Witnesses say two men were tackled to the ground when heavily armed officers swarmed the precinct.

"They were just face down on the ground when we went out there," a female employee from nearby business Sports Camps Australia, who wished to remain anonymous, told AAP.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"(The police) had unmarked cars, and they all just kind of came out of nowhere so it looked like they'd obviously been in position waiting for these two guys to come back from wherever they were and pounced on them."

The employee described the arrested pair as Middle Eastern or European in appearance and aged in their 30s.

A white Holden Commodore has also been towed away.

NSW Police have confirmed multiple search warrants were being executed at properties across the city but would not give any more details.

"As the operation is ongoing no further information is available," a police spokesman said.

Seven Network footage showed several police cars and a heavy presence on Herb Elliott Avenue and Showground Road in the Olympic precinct, while other witnesses reported seeing federal police storming an area around the Ibis Hotel just after midday.

Less than two weeks ago, NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione launched Strike Force Osprey after a spate of bloody executions on Sydney's streets of notorious crime figures.

Barbaro, 35, was shot in Earlwood on November 14 and hitman Hamad Assaad, 29, was shot in Georges Hall on October 25.

In April, gangland kingpin and convicted killer Walid Ahmad, 40, was killed in a spray of bullets on the rooftop car park of Bankstown Central shopping centre.

His murder is believed to be in retaliation for the fatal shooting of Safwan Charbaji outside a Condell Park panel beater several weeks earlier.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world