SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

ATP apologise after Next Gen draw ceremony lambasted as sexist

MILAN (Reuters) - The ATP has apologised after the draw ceremony for the Next Gen Finals on Sunday was branded a "disgrace" after female models revealed groupings with letters hidden under their clothing.

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

The letters A or B were placed on various parts of the bodies of the eight models involved in the draw in Milan, where the flagship tournament for ATP players aged 21 and under begins on Tuesday.

Players were then asked to choose a model in order to discover which group they had been placed in.

One model revealed her letter by lifting up her dress to flash her thigh, while another took off a jacket to expose the letter B on her back.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Former Wimbledon champion Amelie Mauresmo took to Twitter on Monday to brand the draw spectacle a "disgrace". Judy Murray, mother to former world number one Andy, described it as "awful".

In a joint statement with sponsors Red Bull the ATP said it "deeply regretted" the ceremony.

"The ATP and Red Bull apologise for the offence caused by the draw ceremony for the Next Gen ATP Finals," the statement said. "The intention was to integrate Milan's rich heritage as one of the fashion capitals of the world.

"However, our execution of the proceedings was in poor taste and unacceptable. We deeply regret this and will ensure that there is no repeat of anything like it in the future."

The inaugural Next Gen ATP Finals was created to revitalise tennis to a new generation of fans and will showcase the young players expected to be winning the game's big prizes, once the current golden generation have hung up their rackets.

A raft of innovations, including shot clocks, electronic line calling and shortened sets, will be tested out.

Rather than offer a glimpse of the future, however, the glitzy draw ceremony has been accused of taking the sexism debate back to the 1970s.

French player Alize Cornet wrote on Twitter: "Good job @ATPWorldTour Supposed to be a futurist event right? #backtozero"

The five-day tournament, being held at the Fiera Milano convention centre, is being run in conjunction with the ATP and the Italian Tennis Federation.

(Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Christian Radnedge)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world