SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Attitudes changing to flares: Gallop

Melbourne Victory have been given a show-cause notice by the FFA after a flare was released during Saturday's Melbourne A-League derby.

Fans let off flares during the round 18 A-League match
Melbourne Victory have been given a show-cause notice by the FFA after a flare was released. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

FFA boss David Gallop has praised the changing attitudes towards the use of flares at A-League games after Melbourne Victory fans dobbed in the person responsible for an incident during Saturday's derby.

Despite a bumper start to the new season on the pitch, the A-League earned another black eye on Saturday night when a flare was left off inside Etihad Stadium during Melbourne City's 4-1 win over Victory.

The perpetrator, who was sitting in the Victory supporters' bay. was arrested after being pointed out by the club's fans and is facing charges.

While acknowledging the club and league were still grappling with the issue, Gallop said attitudes were changing.

"I think we definitely saw on Saturday night the reaction was 'identify the guy, get him out of the ground', the crowd booed, those are signs that we wouldn't have seen in the past," Gallop said on Monday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The incident could lead to the club being deducted competition points after Gallop said the Victory had been issued with a show-cause notice.

The Victory and Wanderers were last year hit with suspended three-point penalties following similar incidents.

The FFA last week issued the Western Sydney Wanderers with a show-cause notice after flares were lit by the club's supports group the Red and Black Bloc during their clash with Sydney FC.

The FFA extended the deadline for the Wanderers' suspended three-point penalty until the end of the 2016-17 season and the Victory could face similar sanctions.

"Although there were incidents of flares, we saw wholesale booing, Melbourne Victory fans identified the perpetrator and I think those are positive signs," Gallop said.

"But we've got to stay serious about the fact we don't want to see flares in the game.

"We've got to stay vigilant but there's certainly some positive signs that the whole game is embracing the idea that we don't have flares inside our grounds."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world