SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Aust man facing US child porn allegations

US prosecutors have offered Melbourne Chargers rugby player Michael Quinn a plea deal.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Australian rugby player and accused attempted child sex trafficker Michael Quinn's US legal troubles appear set to get worse after the alleged discovery of "suspected child pornography" on his iPhone.

A prosecutor has told a US District Court judge in Los Angeles the 33-year-old from Melbourne could be hit with new charges.

Forensic exams on the phone and his iPad, seized after he was arrested at an undercover child sex sting in a Los Angeles beachside hotel room last month, are yet to be completed.

"The discovery of child pornography could lead to additional charges against the defendant," assistant US attorney Joey Blanch wrote in a court filing this week.

Quinn was already facing the prospect of life in jail without the possibility of parole after he allegedly paid an undercover US agent, who was posing as a pimp, $US260 to have sex with a six-year-old boy at the hotel.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Quinn allegedly arrived at the hotel with a camera, film and a monopod to support the camera.

Ms Blanch also revealed Quinn has been offered a plea deal, although a spokesman for the prosecutor declined to tell AAP the details.

"A plea offer has been extended by the government, but defendant needs additional time to review the offer with his counsel," Ms Blanch wrote in the filing.

Quinn has entered not guilty pleas to one count of attempted child sex trafficking and one count of travelling with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct.

A trial is scheduled in Los Angeles on August 30.

The attempted child sex trafficking charge carries a minimum sentence of 15 years' in US federal prison and a maximum of life without parole.

Ms Blanch also told the court prosecutors have screen captures of communication between Quinn and undercover law enforcement from a social networking site.

The prosecution case also includes alleged audio-video recordings of Quinn at the LA hotel.

Quinn has been held at a downtown LA jail since his arrest.

The Monash University-educated geneticist, who worked at a leading Melbourne IVF clinic, was a member of the Melbourne Chargers rugby club.

He was in the US to play in the Bingham Cup in Nashville, Tennessee, a tournament honouring September 11 hero and pioneer of gay rugby clubs, Mark Bingham.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world