The federal government is sending extra diplomats into Bahrain to assist up to 1000 Australians as unrest in the Middle Eastern country intensifies.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is urging Australians to leave the country following fresh clashes between security forces and pro-democracy demonstrators this week.
"Australian consular officials are present at the Bahrain airport and are assisting Australians who wish to depart by commercial means," DFAT said in a statement on Friday.
"A further two DFAT officers will arrive in Bahrain today to provide extra assistance on the ground."
Australians who choose to stay in Bahrain should minimise their movement and stay at home until further notice, DFAT said.
News that makes sense
Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.
DFAT said there were 684 Australians registered as being in Bahrain but Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd said the figure was probably closer to 1000.
"We will continue to monitor closely what is occurring there," Mr Rudd told reporters.
"We do express concern about the violence." Security forces firing tear gas and shotguns cleared out a pro-democracy tent city in the capital Manama on Wednesday in the worst day of violence since activists took to the streets last month.
At least five people were killed. Hundreds more have been wounded in clashes in recent days.
The country's king has declared a three-month state of emergency and more than 1000 troops from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have entered the country to help restore security.

