SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Australian digger killed in Afghanistan

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has paid tribute to a young soldier who was killed in Afghanistan.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has offered the nation's sympathy to the family and fiance of a young soldier killed in Afghanistan.

Corporal Richard Atkinson was killed by a improvised bomb in Oruzgan Province overnight, in a blast that's seriously wounded another soldier.

Gillard says the 22-year-old corporal was a very brave and a very young man.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The soldier was named as 22-year-old Corporal Richard Edward Atkinson, who was on his first deployment to Afghanistan.

Both men were members of the Darwin-based First Combat Engineer Regiment.

They were conducting a dismounted partnered security control with the Afghan national army at the time of the incident.

General Hurley said the man's family had been notified of the death overnight.

The wounded soldier was meanwhile in a satisfactory condition at the Tarin Kowt hospital.

The incident took place in the Deh Rahwod region of Oruzgan province about 9.30am Afghanistan time on Wednesday.

General Hurley said after the bomb blast Australian and Afghan soldiers quickly secured the site and provided first aid to their wounded comrades.

At the time of the incident, weather conditions in Oruzgan were very bad, he said, with rain, low cloud and large dust storms seriously reducing visibility.

General Hurley said that created some initial problems launching the aero-medical evacuation helicopter.

"But the US aircrew persevered in the dangerous conditions to get the aircraft off the ground in a few minutes," he said.

"Their actions meant the wounded Australians reached the medical facility at Tarin Kowt within an hour."

A second soldier was seriously wounded, acting chief of the defence force, Lieutenant General David Hurley said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world