SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Barcelona's Mascherano handed two-match ban

The Catalan side were worried the Argentine would miss El Clasico against Real Madrid on Nov. 21 if he had been hit with a four-match ban since Barca's squad is already stretched.

Barcelona's Mascherano handed two-match ban
(Reuters)

1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Referee Carlos Del Cerro Grande said Mascherano was dismissed for directing an insult, common in Argentina, towards the linesman but Barca appealed saying it was said in passing.

The suspension means the defender will miss Barcelona's league matches against Getafe and Villarreal.

Barca have suffered a series of injuries to key players including Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Rafinha.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The squad has also been hampered because the club have not been allowed to bring in players over the last two transfer windows due to a FIFA ban over the illegal signing of minors.

However, last season’s treble winners are joint leaders of La Liga with Real Madrid on 21 points from nine games following their 3-1 win over Eibar and top their Champions League group.

(Reporting by Tim Hanlon in Barcelona, editing by Ken Ferris)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world