SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Bedene loses appeal to have Britain Davis Cup ban lifted

LONDON (Reuters) - Slovenian-born tennis player Aljaz Bedene has failed in his latest attempt to overturn his ban from playing for adopted nation Britain in the Davis Cup.

Bedene loses appeal to have Britain Davis Cup ban lifted
(Reuters)

1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

An arbitration hearing of the International Tennis Federation (ITF) said on Thursday that Bedene, 27, remained ineligible because he has already represented Slovenia three times in the team competition.

The ITF introduced the new rule in 2015, shortly before Bedene became a British citizen.

"The ITF change in rules has come at precisely the wrong time for him," said Charles Hollander QC, who led the hearing. "Bedene cannot be characterised as one of those players who desire to adopt a 'flag of convenience'."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Bedene's initial appeal against the ban was turned down by the ITF's board last March. Since then, he has fallen to outside the top 100 in the ATP rankings.

While the decision is a blow for Bedene, 2015 champions Britain are in good shape and beat Canada in the World Group first round, even without Wimbledon champion Andy Murray.

(Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Larry King)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world