SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Bennell's disrespect in AFL trade: Tigers

Richmond claim Harley Bennell showed a lack of respect when he was being courted by the Tigers ahead of the AFL trade period.

Harley Bennell
Richmond claim Harley Bennell showed a lack of respect during talks ahead of the AFL trade period. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Richmond say they were treated with disrespect by Harley Bennell when the controversial midfielder was being courted by the Tigers in the lead-up to the AFL trade period.

After being cut loose by Gold Coast following one too many off-field indiscretions, Fremantle quickly became favourites to secure his services, with a deal finalised on Wednesday.

Bennell had previously met senior Richmond officials and players before the Tigers made a decision not to pursue a trade for the 23-year-old, who was understood to have turned up late for a medical check.

"We flew him over from Perth to find out a little bit more about him and where he's at," Richmond general manager of football Dan Richardson told Trade Radio on Thursday.

"We don't think he gave that process a great deal of respect and nor did his management, so that's why we moved on.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"He's now a Fremantle player and maybe that was the way it was going all along, which is the reason why it transpired with us the way it did.

"It just wasn't meant to be with us."

Richmond's main target in the trade period remains disgruntled Carlton speedster Chris Yarran, with Richardson very confident the two clubs would get the deal done.

The Tigers do not want to give up their first-round No.12 draft selection - meaning they would likely have to trade for a lower pick to onpass to the Blues.

"We respect Carlton's position and they feel Chris is worth a first-round pick which is probably fair, but not as low as we hold currently," said Richardson.

"We've been working hard to satisfy that through some other avenues."

The Tigers agreed to a new two-year deal with exciting young forward Ben Lennon on Thursday, ending fears he could walk to the Blues in the pre-season draft.

The second-year player had been bitterly disappointed at being dropped for last month's elimination final against North Melbourne, but the Tigers were always confident he would sign a new contract.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world