SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Bin Laden son-in-law's NY trial delayed

The terror trial of Osama bin Laden's son-in-law in New York has been put back a week to allow the defence to collect testimony.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A US judge has delayed by one week until March 3 the New York terror trial of Osama bin Laden's son-in-law and former al-Qaeda spokesman, Suleiman Abu Ghaith.

The delay is to allow the defence time to collect testimony from the self-declared mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is held at Guantanamo Bay.

Abu Ghaith's lawyer Stanley Cohen requested a 45-day delay on Wednesday but federal judge Lewis Kaplan sided with government prosecutors who argued that an extra week would be enough.

"This is about as clear as pea coup from the bottom of a cauldron," Kaplan said at one point as Cohen sought to explain the process of collecting evidence from Mohammed.

Mohammed is to receive written questions on Friday and needs at least four days to respond, though it is unclear how long any security clearance would take, Cohen said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Abu Ghaith's trial had been due to start on Monday.

The 48-year-old Kuwaiti is charged with conspiracy to kill Americans, conspiracy to provide support to terrorists and providing support to terrorists.

He has pleaded not guilty and faces life behind bars if convicted.

He is best-known for making incendiary threats alongside bin Laden and the now current leader of al-Qaeda, Ayman al-Zawahiri, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

US prosecutors allege he was also complicit in the December 2001 shoe bomber plot to bring down an airline flying from Paris to Miami just three months after the 9/11 attacks.

British al-Qaeda recruit Richard Reid is serving a life sentence in the United States for trying to blow up the passenger jet using bombs hidden in his shoes.

Mohammed is the most high-profile detainee held over the 9/11 attacks and has been held at the US detention facility in Cuba since 2006.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world