Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Bird ready to fire if Starc misses: Smith

Mitchell Starc might miss the Boxing Day Test because of a minor foot injury but Steve Smith is confident reserve paceman Jackson Bird can step up if called on.

Australia's Mitchell Starc.
Mitchell Starc's heel injury might mean he sits out the Fourth Ashes Test in Melbourne. (AAP)

Five years after making his Test debut at the MCG because Mitchell Starc had been rested, Jackson Bird is ready to step up if Australia's spearhead is forced to sit out the fourth Ashes Test.

Starc remains an unlikely starter for the Boxing Day Test because of a minor foot injury, with national selector Mark Waugh confirming the hosts will err on the side of caution.

The left-armer has been cleared of serious damage but a bruised heel means he remains in doubt for the clash with England that starts on Tuesday.

Starc left the WACA on crutches because of the injury he suffered while bowling Australia to an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-Test series.

The hosts are yet to declare Starc a non-starter, wanting to give the express paceman every chance to show his landing foot is up the rigours of five days of Test cricket.

But the fact is the painful injury requires rest and Starc has limited time to prove his fitness. Selectors understandably are keen to ensure he is cherry ripe for a four-Test tour of South Africa that follows the Ashes.

Bird hasn't played for Australia since last year's Boxing Day Test. The right-armer has been on drinks duty though this series, impressing Steve Smith in the nets.

"Jackson's been bowling particularly well and I'm sure he'll rise to the occasion if he gets an opportunity," Smith told reporters in Melbourne.

"Jackson will be ready regardless of what is happening with Mitch.

"We'll see how Mitch goes over the next couple of days, how he's recovered.

"I know Mitch really wants to play ... hopefully, his heel is alright."

Bird is unable to generate Starc's potent mix of express pace, swing and bounce but has consistently troubled batsmen this Sheffield Shield season, topping the wicket-taking list with 25 scalps at 16.56.

Waugh told Fox Sports that common sense would prevail when time came to making a call on Starc.

"If it was 2-1 down or 2-1 up and this was a Test match we had to win, you might push the envelope a bit further than when you're 3-0 up," Waugh said.

"Common sense says, if he's not quite right, I think they'll err on the side of caution."

Former captain Allan Border also suggested it would be sensible for Starc to miss the fourth Test.

Starc noted on Wednesday he would play the fourth Test if it was up to him.

"But I think there's a few other people in that conversation," he told the Nine Network.

"It's not up to me.

"I'll get there on Friday and see how it pulls up."


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world