SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Black Caps will be upbeat: Hazlewood

Josh Hazlewood expects New Zealand will draw confidence from the fact Australia are a team in transition, while Joe Burns says that's been overplayed.

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A 'team in transition' has been the unofficial tagline of Australia's summer of cricket.

Michael Clarke, Chris Rogers, Brad Haddin, Shane Watson and Ryan Harris all retired from Test cricket this year, prompting many to ponder what impact the generational change will have on the team.

Many have speculated that Steve Smith's men could be vulnerable in the upcoming three-Test series against New Zealand, which starts in Brisbane on Thursday.

Towering paceman Josh Hazlewood, who played four Ashes Tests this year, certainly expects Brendon McCullum's men will be viewing Australia as ripe to be taken down.

"They'll be quietly confident with our inexperience I guess and the uncertainty in the top order," Hazlewood told reporters on Monday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"They'll see that as a positive for them and try to exploit that."

Hazlewood cheekily added that his side would be reminding the visitors of the World Cup final, when Australia cruised to a seven-wicket win at the MCG.

"That's a while ago and obviously a different format as well," Hazlewood said.

"But we can still create some demons for them from those memories."

Joe Burns, recalled to open in the absence of Rogers, felt the issue of inexperience had been overplayed.

Burns, who played two Tests last home summer against India, suggested the 12-man squad is well drilled on what's required at Test level and very much a cohesive unit.

"There's plenty of changes but we're a group that has played a lot of cricket together as well," Burns said.

"We've played in different forms of the game together and we've all played Test cricket before.

"I don't really feel like there's (going to be) a gelling period.

"I feel like it's just a slightly different side, but a side that knows how we're going to go about it."

The 26-year-old added he would be "all ears this week", starting with Monday's training session.

Meanwhile, Burns downplayed the idea he will be feeling added pressure on Thursday, when the first Test starts at his home ground of the Gabba.

"Playing for Australia is the best time of your life. You have to try to enjoy it and you play better cricket when you enjoy it," he said.

"It's just exciting."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world