SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Boxing champ Broner surrenders to police

WBA Super Lightweight super champion Adrian Broner has surrendered to police in relation to an altercation following a high-stakes ten pin bowling match.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Boxing champion Adrien Broner surrendered to law enforcement in Cincinnati on Monday after a warrant for his arrest on two felony charges stemming from a bowling alley altercation was issued last month, the Hamilton County prosecutor's office said.

Ohio-native Broner, charged with felonious assault and aggravated robbery, posted $US100,000 ($A130,412) bond and is scheduled to appear on Tuesday in a Hamilton County court, office spokeswoman Julie Wilson said.

The 26-year-old boxer allegedly pointed a handgun at a man after losing a bet in a high-stakes bowling match in January. He is accused of then knocking a man unconscious and taking money from him, court documents showed.

Will Welsh, Broner's attorney, said an arrangement was made with county prosecutors to allow his client to turn himself in after a boxing fight on Friday. Broner scored a ninth-round knockout of Ashley Theophane in the bout last week in Washington D.C.

"We are denying all the allegations," Welsh said, adding Broner would plead not guilty at Tuesday's arraignment.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Broner, who holds the WBA Super Lightweight super champion title and goes by the nickname "The Problem," has a 30-2 record, with 22 knockouts, the World Boxing Association said on its website.

A civil personal injury lawsuit has also been filed by Christopher Carson, who claimed that Broner attacked and robbed him of gambling winnings in the January incident.

Broner announced his plans to turn himself in on his personal Twitter account on Monday morning and then tweeted his release on bond.

"They let me out y'all," he said in a tweet.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world