SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Boy dies following US school shooting

The parents of the six-year-old boy who has died after being shot in a school yard in South Carolina have described the shooting as senseless.

Officers investigate the scene of a shooting in South Carolina
(AAP) Source: FR155191 AP

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A six-year-old boy who was critically wounded in a school shooting has died, four days after a 14-year-old boy opened fire on a school playground.

Jacob Hall had been fighting for his life at a hospital after a bullet struck him in a main artery in his leg, causing him a major brain injury due to a "catastrophic" loss of blood, his doctor said.

Jacob died surrounded by his family at Greenville Health System Children's Hospital at 1pm on Saturday local time, his parents said in a statement.

Renae and Rodger Hall thanked the nurses and doctors who cared for Jacob and his teacher Meghan Hollingsworth, "who put her life on the line to try to protect and save Jacob.''

"God gave him to us and he was taken away from us by a senseless act," they said in the statement.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"We know that Jacob has already forgiven this child for what he did to him and his family because that's the kind of child he was.''

Jacob, another student and a first-grade teacher at Townville Elementary were wounded by the teenager, who had just killed his father at their home on Wednesday.

After the slaying, the teen - who is not old enough to have a driver's licence - drove a pickup truck about 3 miles down a country road, crashed at the school and started firing with a handgun, authorities said.

The wounded were struck as a door opened for recess.

Another teacher who heard the first gunshot was able to get other students safely inside, school officials have said.

The other wounded student and Hollingsworth were treated and released from a hospital.

Authorities have not released a motive for either shooting.

The teenager has been charged as a juvenile with murder and three counts of attempted murder.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world