SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Bronco Roberts' NRL career in jeopardy

The NRL career of Broncos flyer James Roberts is in jeopardy amid reports of a drunken incident during a night out in Brisbane.

James Roberts during the Brisbane Broncos training session
The NRL career of Brisbane's James Roberts is in jeopardy amid reports of a drunken incident. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Brisbane flyer James Roberts' troubled NRL career is in jeopardy following an alleged drunken incident.

The Broncos' centre was removed from the Normanby Hotel near Brisbane's CBD about 9.30pm on Sunday after failing to comply with a request from staff to leave the premises.

It's understood Roberts abused a female staff member after being refused service.

The Broncos issued a statement on Wednesday confirming they were investigating a "rumour involving a player" which came to their attention on Tuesday.

"No complaint has been made to the club by either the police or a member of the public," Broncos chief executive Paul White said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"But, as per protocol, the club passed the matter on to the integrity unit and will now work with them to ascertain the facts."

Roberts is expected to play for the Broncos on Thursday night in a crucial clash with Canterbury at Suncorp Stadium despite the allegations.

The NRL confirmed its integrity unit had been informed of an incident involving a player by the Broncos, who will investigate and report back with their findings.

The Courier-Mail reports Roberts passed out after being placed in a headlock resulting in an ambulance being called to the hotel.

A Queensland Ambulance spokeswoman told AAP paramedics had been called out to the hotel at 9.47 on Sunday night but their "services weren't required".

Roberts has a history of off-field indiscretions, having been sacked by Penrith and South Sydney over behaviour-related issues.

The Rabbitohs released Roberts in 2011 after breaches of his playing contract including smashing a taxi window and he was cut by the Panthers in March 2014 for off-field misbehaviour.

He was thrown a lifeline by Gold Coast later in 2014 and appeared to have turned his career around, becoming one of the Titans' best players before a contract bungle by the club resulted in him leaving to join Brisbane for the 2016 campaign.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world