SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Broncos keen to play world club series

England coach Wayne Bennett says his NRL club Brisbane is keen to play in the 2017 World Club Series.

Wigan Warriors' Willie Isa against the Brisbane Broncos
Coach Wayne Bennett says his NRL club Brisbane is keen to play in the 2017 World Club Series. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

England coach Wayne Bennett has pledged Brisbane's backing for the 2017 World Club Series.

Plans for the annual clash between the leading clubs from Super League and the NRL were thrown into disarray earlier this week when Melbourne officially withdrew.

Their lack of interest was quickly matched by several rival NRL clubs, who claimed it interfered with their preparations for the NRL season.

Wigan and Cronulla, the two 2016 Grand Final winners, will meet in the traditional World Club Challenge at the DW Stadium on the weekend of February 16-17.

However, uncertainty surrounds the other two scheduled ties in the recently-expanded World Club Series following the snub from beaten NRL grand finalists Melbourne, who were due to play Super League runners-up Warrington.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Brisbane had offered to host Wigan if they had lost the Super League Grand Final and Bennett, a long-time advocate of the international game, says he has already been in touch with Rugby Football League chief executive Nigel Wood to reassure him of his club's commitment to the series.

"We would be keen to travel," Bennett said.

"I spoke to Nigel on Monday night and told him that the whole concept has got the club's backing.

"We love coming over, we've enjoyed it in the last couple of years as a club and we're also trying to host one (in Brisbane) in the pre-season. But if that doesn't come to fruition and there's a vacancy to come over to England we will certainly go.

"The other clubs have all got their reasons I'm sure, but we don't find it interferes with our season really.

"We've played in a grand final, gone over for the World Club Series and started the following year well, so I can't find a fault with it. Personally I'd be extremely disappointed if we shared the same view."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world