SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Bullets are clicking, Gibson warns NBL

It's no surprise to Adam Gibson that the Brisbane Bullets have made such a strong start to their first NBL pre-season in eight years.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Veteran guard Adam Gibson says he's not surprised by how quickly the Brisbane Bullets have clicked as they prepare to take on the rest of the NBL plus two Chinese teams in the Australian Basketball Challenge.

The Bullets will attempt to back up a 3-0 sweep of the New Zealand Breakers last week with another strong showing in the four-day pre-season tournament, which begins on Friday in Brisbane.

They have been drawn to play against China's Zhejiang Golden Bulls, the new-look Sydney Kings and state rivals the Cairns Taipans.

Making their NBL return after an eight-season absence, the Bullets have barely put a foot wrong, with their only other pre-season result a narrow but encouraging three-point loss to American college side UCLA.

Coach Andrej Lemanis has put together a roster packed with tried and tested NBL talent, which is why Gibson isn't shocked they're doing so well already.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"We'll say throughout the whole year - don't get too high on wins or low on losses," Gibson told reporters.

"We recruited this team, the guys we brought in specifically because we knew what we'd be getting.

"I'm not surprised we've gelled this quick.

"It's only three wins against New Zealand and they had some guys sit out. We're not getting too excited but, definitely, it's a great start for sure."

The Australian Basketball Challenge should also be a good test of the Bullets' off-field impact.

It'll be their first chance to play in Brisbane since the franchise's collapse in 2008, with the game against UCLA played in front of a sold-out crowd in nearby Logan.

"We'll put on our product and work on being the best team we can be. Hopefully, the Brisbane public will get behind it," Lemanis said.

"At the moment, it's still been this sort of notion of the Bullets (are back) ... The fact we're here playing this weekend, if people pop their head in, it'll continue to make it real."

Lemanis, meanwhile, all but ruled star signing Cameron Bairstow out of playing in the NBL season opener at home on October 6 against to the Perth Wildcats.

Bairstow dislocated his shoulder at the Rio Olympics and, while he was making a good recovery, Lemanis said he was still a while off playing.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world