SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Burgess named in Bath squad for Euro Cup

With speculation rife he'll return to rugby league, Sam Burgess has been named in a 41-man Bath squad for the European Champions Cup.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Sam Burgess has been named in a 41-man Bath squad for this season's European Champions Cup as speculation intensifies he's on the verge of returning to rugby league just 12 months after switching codes.

Burgess features in the group of players named by Bath for the tournament that kicks off next month.

Bath's opening Champions Cup game is away against reigning European champions Toulon on November 15.

Burgess' future could start to become clearer next Monday, when he is due to resume training with the Aviva Premiership club.

England World Cup centre Burgess, who has two years left on his contract with Bath, has taken a break in Spain.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Reports, though, have stated that a return to rugby league side South Sydney Rabbitohs is under serious consideration.

A Bath spokesperson on Thursday insisted "Sam Burgess is just starting the second year of a three-year contract with Bath Rugby".

"We gave him time off after he returned from the World Cup, as we will all England players, and he will be back in training on Monday," the spokesperson said.

Bath head coach Mike Ford, meanwhile, admits that Burgess "didn't quite feel right" after the World Cup, but is convinced he will remain a rugby union player.

Ford can expect to be quizzed on the Burgess subject following Bath's Premiership home game against Harlequins on Saturday.

Speaking to BBC Radio on Thursday, Ford said: "Last week, Sam came back into training because initially that's what he wanted, but then he did and he didn't quite feel right."

"We decided to give him time off there and then, which means that he's gone away to get refreshed and will be back in training on November 2," Ford said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world