SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Calls for detention probe after Villawood fire

Desperate asylum seekers at Sydney's Villawood Detention Centre have torched a number of buildings sparking an explosion, with authorities failing to gain control of the volatile situation.

villawood_b_asylum_abc_1626572742

4 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

There are calls for an investigation into Australian detention centres, as seven detainees remained on the roof of Sydney's Villawood Detention Centre following a night of violence.

The detainees are sitting beside a large white sign that reads in black letters "We need help".

Riot police were seen to enter the building shortly after 9.30am (AEST) on Thursday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Protests at the centre were triggered after two men climbed onto the roof early on Wednesday.

They were soon joined by 11 others and by midnight up to 100 people were involved, vandalising and setting fire to buildings.

Buildings ablaze

Protesters torched an oxygen cylinder leading to an explosion shortly after 2am (AEST) on Thursday.

Nine demountable buildings - medical centre, kitchen, dining room, laundry and a computer room - have been gutted by fire and the centre appeared a charred and mangled mess in the morning light.

Black smoke curled into the air above the centre at 9am (AEST), even though NSW Fire and Rescue crews and NSW Police had brought the blaze under control two hours earlier.

Police reportedly protected the firefighters as they battled the blaze from such things as hurled tiles.

Amnesty wants investigation

Dr Graham Thom, refugee co-ordinator for Amnesty International Australia, said it was time for an investigation into detention centres because the situation inside them was going "from bad to

worse".

"We really need to have a look at why are we detaining such large numbers of people in such remote places, and is this the best way for Australia to meet its obligations to protect people," he

said.

Dr Thom said he was aware of people were becoming increasingly depressed at Villawood.

"We don't need to have these large detention centres where we keep people for a year and a half, if not more, until we finally break them," he said.

"When you put a group of men together who are extremely vulnerable ... this is the sort of psychological pressure that just builds up on these people."

Dr Thom also raised questions about the security officers at the detention centre who had their training in prisons.

"Do you have the right people with the right skills doing that job and providing the relevant activities and other things that they need?

"When you've come from a particular background with a particular skill set to suddenly get thrown into that environment, we do have concerns about whether the training is adequate."

A criminal matter: government

"It's a criminal matter and they've done a wonderful job protecting the firefighters as they've done their job," immigration department spokesman Sandi Logan told reporters, adding an investigation would take place.

"There may well be charges laid from this investigation."

Mr Logan said it was an "ongoing challenge" to maintain the mental and physical health of the detainees.

"From time to time, frankly quite unacceptable, quite appalling non-compliant behaviours have occurred and this is an example of it overnight."

About 400 detainees are currently housed at the detention centre.

Mr Logan could not confirm reports the men were protesting because their visas had been rejected.

"But any suggestion that they're not being informed of the progress of their claim is nonsense ...

"I don't know the motivation.

"But it's clearly not going to help, in terms of endearing their settlement in Australia."

The detainees still on the roof are reportedly calling for a meeting with the immigration department, but Mr Logan said case managers would continue to be their first point of contact.

"Until they come down, we won't be negotiating, but we are working and managing to get them down from the roof," he said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world