SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Carl Williams' ex-guard avoids more jail

Carl William's former bodyguard has narrowly avoided jail after he admitted assaulting two police officers and other offences including heroin possession.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The man who used to be the personal protector of gangland boss Carl Williams' has narrowly avoided being sent back to prison after he admitted assaulting two Victorian police officers.

Terence Salvatore Chimirri, 41, on Monday pleaded guilty to 11 charges, including heroin possession, reckless causing injury, driving offences and two counts of assaulting emergency service workers.

Magistrate Franz Holzer told Chimirri the two-year community corrections order he was imposing was at "the top of the sentencing tree".

"Objectively, these are serious matters," Mr Holzer said on Monday.

"You would have gone to jail if there wasn't a plea."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Given your history, which is not impressive at all, you can count yourself lucky to avoid a jail term today."

Chimirri has been ordered to perform 300 hours of community service and take part in a driver education program.

Magistrate Holzer had previously indicated he would strongly consider not jailing Chimirri, who has been living with his parents in Safety Beach while on bail for the charges.

On Monday he said Chimirri had justified the indication, having heard the former underworld body guard has ended his "bad associations".

During an earlier hearing, Chimirri's mother told the court her son had been traumatised by his time in solitary confinement, where he had to be kept for his own protection.

Chimirri suffers from schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder.

He politely asked the assembled media if they were having a nice day before he walked free from the Melbourne Magistrates' Court.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world