SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Carney was drinking, Roosters boss admits

Sydney Roosters' chief executive has admitted it's common knowledge that NRL star Todd Carney was drinking during a night out with team mate Anthony Watts.

toddcarney_fine_B_getty_110303_601218981

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Sydney Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce admits it's common knowledge that Todd Carney was drinking on Saturday night - but refuses to speculate about the NRL star's future with the club.

Carney and teammate Anthony Watts watched the Roosters' 24-6 loss to Brisbane on Friday while out in Coogee after requesting the night off while sidelined with injury.

The playing careers of both players are now in jeopardy after the night out ended in Watts being arrested for allegedly assaulting his former partner.

Noyce on Sunday said the club would conduct a probe into the alleged incident over the next 48 hours and deliver the results to the NRL but was unsure whether or not Carney had been drinking.

However, on Monday morning Noyce conceded it was a well known fact that Carney had consumed alcohol while with Watts at the Trademark Hotel in Kings Cross on Saturday night.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I think people know that that's a fact, but it's not up to me to go further with that," Noyce told Sky Sports Radio.

"Todd is big personality and people see him out so I think you know the answer to that."

Noyce on Monday again said he was disappointed that Carney had found himself in trouble.

"I'm only human, of course I'm disappointed, but I don't think that's really relevant," Noyce said.

"We're a big family here at the Roosters and occasionally in all families there will be hiccups."

However, Noyce said it was important to distance Carney from the Watts alleged incident.

"I think we also need to be very careful that Todd and Anthony were together, but there was no suggestion that Todd has has anything to do with the legal proceedings that Anthony is facing."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world