SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Carr offers assistance as FBI steps up investigation

Foreign Minister Bob Carr has offered Australian assistance to US investigators hunting down the Boston Marathon bombers, as the FBI releases images showing the remains of what's believed to be the homemade bomb that sparked the attacks.

boston_blast_bomb_ap_fbi_130417_b_1876393084

6 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AFP


Skip to article content

Foreign Minister Bob Carr has offered Australian assistance to US investigators hunting down the Boston Marathon bombers.

Two bombs exploded at the Boston marathon on Monday, killing at least three people and wounding more than 150.

Senator Carr said the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's counter terrorism branch had contacted their counterparts in the US State Department and offered their assistance.

"We are available to follow up any leads if its relevant in our part of the world," Senator Carr told Sky News.

The Australian Federal Police has also offered its services.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"An act of terrorism on American soil threatens Australians as much as an act of terrorism in our region," he said.

"If this turns out to be an act by an international terrorism group, there's an obligation on our part to offer assistance."

Senator Carr said the offers had been received with gratitude and the Americans had made some requests.

He reiterated that it was unclear whether the bombing had been carried out by an international terrorist group or a "malevolent individual reflecting the same pathology of that produces school and campus shootings in America."

The FBI has released images that show the remains of a dark coloured backpack and remnants of what's believed to be a pressure cooker used in the homemade bomb that sparked the attacks.

US investigators have told how two suspected pressure cooker bombs sprayed nails and metal pellets into Boston marathon crowds, killing three people and injuring more than 180.

But with no claim of responsibility made and police not committing to blaming foreign or domestic militants, Boston harbored widespread questions about the perpetrators as the city and the nation paid tribute to the dead.

US President Barack Obama condemned Monday's attack at the marathon finish line as "an act of terror." He will attend a special service for the victims in Boston on Thursday.

US authorities threw virtually every investigation agency into the hunt with more than 1,000 officers working in Boston alone, said Rick DesLauriers, head of the FBI's Boston office.

"This will be a worldwide investigation," DesLauriers told reporters. "We will go to the ends of the Earth to identify the subject or subjects responsible for this despicable crime," he added.

DesLauriers said fragments of suspected pressure cookers used to pack the bomb had been found and were being put together by experts. He added that metal pellets and nails had also been recovered.

Similar easy-to-make devices are used as roadside bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Shreds of black nylon bags believed to have been used to carry the bombs were also found, the agent said, adding that "the range of suspects and motives remains wide open."

Doctors, who carried out at least 13 amputations, some at the scene, gave details of the bomb impact.

"These bombs contained small metallic fragments more consistent with pellets and other small pieces of metal, but also spiked points that resembled nails without heads," said George Velmahos, head of emergency medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Roger Walls at Brigham and Women's Hospital said a dozen carpentry nails were taken from the body of one victim.

The two bombs, which exploded 13 seconds and about 100 meters (yards) apart, sprayed the shrapnel into the crowd of thousands of people lining Boylston Street to watch the runners cross the finish line.

Three people were killed and at least 180 injured, according to the latest toll. Some 17 people were in critical condition. The dead and injured were aged between two and 71 and included nine children.

Among the dead was eight-year-old Martin Richard, who had been waiting at the finish for his father to cross the line. His mother suffered a grievous brain injury and his sister lost a leg.

A Chinese national also died, China's Xinhua news agency reported. The woman was believed to be a graduate student at Boston University but her name was not given.

The third fatality was named as Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant manager from Massachusetts.

A candle-lit vigil for Richard drew 1,000 people to a park near the family home in the Boston suburb of Dorchester. Hundreds attended another vigil in central Boston and a church service near the scene of the bomb blasts.

Most of the 23,000 runners in the 26.2-mile (42-kilometer) race had finished when the bombs went off.

More tragic stories emerged. Liz Norden tearfully told the Boston Globe how two of her sons, both in their 30s, lost legs in the blast.

Boston relived the horror in the many videos taken with telephone cameras that investigators also pored over in the hunt. Police appealed for the public to send in pictures or videos.

Armed National Guard troops and police patrolled Boston airport, commuter trains and buses and authorities warned that tight security would last several days, particularly as Obama was to be in the city on Thursday.

"There were no intelligence warnings that we know of," said Representative Peter King, a member of the House Intelligence Committee, who highlighted that it was not known whether foreign or domestic attackers planted the bombs.

New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and several other major US cities boosted security as Russian President Vladimir Putin led global condemnation, describing the twin explosions as "barbaric."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said "nothing justifies such a malicious attack on people attending a peaceful sporting event." Iran also strongly condemned the blasts.

The national flag over the White House was lowered to half-staff and the New York Stock Exchange held a minute of silence before trading started.

Organizers of Sunday's London Marathon said the race would go ahead, but security arrangements were under review.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world