SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Census minister's website goes down

The website of the minister responsible for the census Michael McCormack has gone down.

Michael McCormack
Michael McCormack. Source: SBS

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

It's been a rough 24 hours for Australian government websites and now the minister responsible for the census appears to have also fallen victim.

Small Business Minister Michael McCormack's personal website went down on Wednesday afternoon, displaying the message: "Error 500 - internal server error".

A spokesman for Mr McCormack refused to confirm or deny whether the website had been attacked.

"It's down for maintenance," he told AAP.

It comes after a series of cyber attacks on Tuesday night forced the Australian Bureau of Statistics to shut down the census website.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Mr McCormack insists it was an attempt to "frustrate" the collection of census data.

"This was not an attack, nor was it a hack," he told reporters.

It's a position at odds with the prime minister's own cyber security adviser.

"This was definitely an attack, but not a hack," Alastair MacGibbon told ABC radio.

He conceded there were "fundamental failures", describing the attack as an "embarrassing and silly episode".

Meanwhile, the immigration department's online service which allows users to lodge a visa or citizenship application also went down.

The ImmiAccount website on Wednesday afternoon posted the message: "Unplanned System Outage. ImmiAccount is currently unavailable. Technical teams are investigating the issue."

The department said in a statement to AAP there were "IT issues" affecting the call centre, website and emails.

"These issues are in no way linked to those experienced by the Australian Bureau of Statistics."

The ABS has temporarily taken down its census site and launched an investigation after a series of "denial of service" attacks which are believed to have come from overseas.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world