SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Chavez suffers new post-op setback: VP

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez has suffered a new setback after cancer surgery in Cuba on December 11, Vice President Nicolas Maduro said.

Chavez admits cancer relapse
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez says his cancer has returned and he will undergo further surgery.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AFP


Skip to article content

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez has suffered a new setback after cancer surgery in Cuba on December 11, Vice President Nicolas Maduro said Sunday.

"We have been informed of new complications that arose as a consequence of the respiratory infection we already knew about," Maduro said on state TV and radio from Havana. Cuba is Chavez's closest regional ally.

"President Chavez's condition is still delicate," Maduro added, warning that the complications "are being treated in a process that is not without its risks."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Maduro, who said he had spoken with Chavez, added that the president was facing a "tough situation."

The vice president said he would stay in Havana in the coming hours "with El Comandante and his family, closely following his condition and its evolution."

"We trust that the global outpouring of love" for Chavez will help him heal, said Maduro, with Rosa Virgina Chavez, one of the president's daughters, Science and Technology Minister Jorge Arreaza, and top Prosecutor Cilia Flores.

Chavez, 58, the face of the Latin American left for more than a decade and a firebrand critic of US "imperialism," has been in power since 1999.

He won another six-year term in October's presidential election, and is scheduled to be sworn in on January 10, but his health has raised concerns over the future of his leftist movement -- and whether he will even be well enough to attend the inauguration.

On Monday, the government said there had been a "slight improvement" in his condition as he recovers from a post-operative respiratory infection.

Officials have never disclosed the type or severity of Chavez's cancer, first diagnosed in June 2011, and he only designated a political successor -- Maduro -- earlier this month.

The Venezuelan leader had, in fact, asserted before embarking on his arduous re-election campaign earlier this year that he was cancer-free.

But he was later forced to admit he had suffered a relapse.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world