SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Chris Lane murder accused back in court

An Oklahoma judge is expected to rule if two of the teens charged with murdering Australian baseballer Chris Lane will stand trial.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Fresh clues to how and why Australian baseballer Chris Lane was shot and left to die in a US street are expected to be revealed in an Oklahoma court.

The preliminary hearing for two of the three teenagers accused of Lane's drive-by murder, Chancey Luna and Michael Jones, will continue in the southern Oklahoma city of Duncan on Wednesday (Thursday AEDT).

The third and youngest teenager charged with Mr Lane's death, James Edwards, 16, has become a prosecution witness and is hoping to have a first-degree murder count downgraded to an accessory charge.

The hearing came to a dramatic halt on February 6 when a friend of the trio, KJwan Martin, refused to testify without talking to a lawyer first.

Martin, 18, returns to the stand on Wednesday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Edwards, who was 15 at the time of the shooting, testified he smoked marijuana with Martin a few hours after Mr Lane was shot.

Luna, 16, and Jones, 18, face life in prison if convicted of Mr Lane's first-degree murder.

Judge Jerry Herberger will decide at the end of the hearing if there is enough evidence for Luna and Jones to stand trial.

Mr Lane, 22, had a baseball scholarship at Oklahoma's East Central University and was staying at his girlfriend Sarah Harper's home in Duncan on August 16 last year when he went out for a jog and was shot.

Police said Jones told them Mr Lane was shot because the teens were bored.

Edwards testified Jones' Ford Focus unexpectedly veered sharply, then Luna's .22 revolver fired, hitting Mr Lane in the back.

Edwards also testified he later heard Luna say he thought they were blanks, not bullets in the gun, buoying defence lawyers' theory the shooting was not premeditated.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world