SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Concerns for 11 Australians in Japan

The federal government remains concerned for 11 Australians still unaccounted for in quake- and tsunami-devastated Japan.

japan_quake_worker_L_1100317_aap_475972357

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The federal government remains concerned for 11 Australians still unaccounted for in quake- and tsunami-devastated Japan.

Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd said embassy officials were working around the clock to confirm their safety.

"We are determined to do everything humanly possible to reduce that number right down," Mr Rudd told reporters on Friday.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said the 11 were believed to have been in the worst-affected areas when the tsunami struck.

There are still no reports of Australian casualties. But, earlier on Friday, Mr Rudd warned Australians might still be among the dead.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The government has told Australians to leave Tokyo and surrounding areas because of radiation risks from the earthquake-damaged reactors at the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

The travel advice also cites ongoing aftershocks and the damage to roads, buildings and communications as reasons to leave the Japanese capital and northern Honshu.

Mr Rudd said that while "large numbers" of Australians had already left, about 1500 remained in the greater Tokyo area. He said there was plenty of space on commercial airlines out of Japan.

But, he added, no Australian would be left behind if they could not afford a flight.

"If people are experiencing practical difficulties on the ground they should contact our embassy team."

Meanwhile, an Australian fire and rescue officer in the field was expected to be airlifted to a US airforce base for medical treatment after a search dog bit him on the face.

Fire and Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins said the man had been trying to help the dog after it became entangled in debris.

"Unfortunately, while extricating the dog, it became frightened and has bitten the officer on the face," Mr Mullins said.

The man was in a stable condition.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world