SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Concerns raised about NSW Ambulance plan

New documents have revealed 14 existing ambulance stations in Sydney will be downsized as part of the state government's plan to roll out superstations.

An ambulance drives through Sydney
A teen who is in a serious condition in hospital was found with a stab wound on a Sydney footpath. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A NSW government plan for ambulance superstations has been criticised as "a recipe for disaster" as new documents reveal existing stations will be downgraded.

More than a dozen stations including those across Sydney's eastern and western suburbs will be converted to `standby points' according to a NSW Ambulance map of the new Paramedic Response Network.

NSW Ambulance says the operating model will deliver a more even deployment of paramedics across the city.

But the Health Services Union (HSU) says it fears response times will weaken in areas furthest away from the superstations.

"The new ambulance superstations will suck paramedics out of their communities and concentrate them in larger centres," HSU NSW secretary Gerard Hayes said on Thursday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Particularly at shift start and finish times of 7am and 7pm, response times will blow out," he said.

Mr Hayes also raised concerns about the on-ground presence of paramedics in areas that will see local ambulance stations downsized over the next 18 months, and is pushing for an additional 800 paramedics to be deployed across the state.

A similar network implemented in the United Kingdom was unsuccessful and put patient safety at risk, NSW opposition health spokesman Walt Secord said.

"It resulted in longer waits for an ambulance and patients having to be transported greater distances. That is a recipe for disaster," he said in a statement.

The NSW Ambulance director of the program, Clare Beech, said the innovative, evidence-based model had been designed to reduce the likelihood of lengthy responses for patients needing emergency paramedic care.

"Currently there are 47 facilities which NSW Ambulance paramedics respond to patients from across metropolitan Sydney," Ms Beech said.

"Once the Paramedic Response Network is fully operational there will be more NSW Ambulance facilities across metropolitan Sydney than currently exist within this response area," she said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world