SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Cronk backs Thurston to play Origin opener

Cooper Cronk is convinced Johnathan Thurston will overcome a shoulder injury and partner him in the Queensland halves in the State of Origin series opener.

Cowboys Co-Captain Johnathan Thurston
Cooper Cronk is convinced Johnathan Thurston (pic) will overcome a shoulder injury. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Mystery may surround who will wear the Queensland No.6 jersey in the State of Origin opener but Cooper Cronk believes he knows who will partner him in the Maroons halves: Johnathan Thurston.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters is mulling over potential replacements for Thurston as he sweats on the playmaker's fitness ahead of Origin I on May 31.

Walters will run the rule over Brisbane pivot Anthony Milford's NRL duel with Manly half Daly Cherry-Evans on Saturday night.

North Queensland's Michael Morgan and Parramatta's Corey Norman are also expected to be in the mix if Thurston succumbs to a shoulder complaint.

Still, Cronk is certain Thurston will run out alongside him at the end of the month.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Cronk said time and again he had seen Thurston overcome injuries against the odds to play a record 36 consecutive Origins since his 2005 debut.

He doesn't expect that streak to end any time soon.

"Not really. I am pretty sure Johnno will be working around the clock and doing what he needs to do - it's still two weeks away," Cronk said.

"I know John. He's a proud Queenslander and he hasn't missed 36 games.

"If it is up to him I don't think he is going to miss No.37."

Cronk wasn't worried about Queensland's halves depth but said it was too early to discuss replacements for Thurston.

"The conversations we have now about who may or may not play is essentially irrelevant," he said.

"Those conversations we have on the Sunday before they pick the team - until then everyone is a possibility."

Manly coach Trent Barrett was happy to spruik Cherry-Evans' Origin claims ahead of their Broncos clash, part of a double-header in Brisbane.

Cherry-Evans played the last of his six Origins in 2015.

Barrett said Cherry-Evans was ready for Origin again after new halves partner Blake Green's arrival at Manly this year sparked a form revival.

"I think the whole team was not functioning that well last year," the coach said.

"It was down to a few things.

"Injuries in key positions certainly didn't help the way we were attacking.

"I think Daly had five different five-eighths and a couple of different hookers and fullbacks.

"Having Blake Green there has helped but Daly has worked extremely hard as well."

Barrett looked forward to Cherry-Evans' showdown with Milford almost as much as Walters.

"He (Milford) is the key for Brisbane. I think he leads every stat for them, particularly tackle busts and offloads," he said.

"He's certainly a handful. We will have to watch him."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world