Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Debris on Malaysian coast not from MH370

A two-metre-long piece of debris found washed up on the Malaysian coast is not from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, officials say.

Malaysian Airlines aircraft in Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Source: AAP

Aviation officials say a metal object recovered from Malaysia's east coast is not from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

It was the second time in a week authorities have dismissed speculation that wreckage from the jet had been found, after a similar piece of ocean debris recovered from a beach in Southern Thailand on January 23 proved not to be from MH370.

Malaysia's transport minister Liow Tiong Lai said on Friday that the two-metre-long object found in the eastern state of Terengganu on Thursday had been examined by officials from the ministry, the Department of Civil Aviation and Malaysia Airlines.

"The assessment found that the debris does not match those of a Boeing 777, thus confirming that the debris is not from MH370," he said in a statement.

Flight MH370 disappeared with 239 people on board on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014.


1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world