Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Don't rest Aussie pacemen, urges Johnson

Australia quick Pat Cummins has a long history of back issues, but Mitchell Johnson says selectors shouldn't rest the 24-year-old during the Ashes.

Pat Cummins.
Mitchell Johnson says Pat Cummins (left), Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood must play in every Test. (AAP)

Former Test star Mitchell Johnson hates the rotation concept, and he doesn't want to see any of Australia's pacemen rested during the current Ashes series.

At the start of the series it seemed highly unlikely Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood would be able to play all five Tests.

But the pace trio have made it through the first two matches with flying colours, and they will front up again in the third Test at the WACA Ground, starting Thursday.

Cummins has been plagued by back injuries throughout his stop-start career, while Starc has battled foot injuries for years.

Hazlewood has been the most resilient of the trio, but even he broke down earlier this year with a side strain.

National selectors are wary of not burning out any of the team's prized pacemen.

But Johnson, who battled back injuries throughout his decorated career, said there was no point resting pacemen from Test matches.

"I absolutely hate it," Johnson said of the rotation policy.

"Why would he (Cummins) want to get injured bowling in the nets? Like he has a couple of days off, and then he's still got to bowl in the nets. So he's potentially going to get hurt in the nets.

"There's got to be a point where you trust the players, and give them a crack.

"Cummins has had a history. I had a history - I had four stress fractures. But it didn't stop me.

"I remember when they were talking about rotating guys through Test cricket. I said, 'Well, I'm definitely not rotating'."

Johnson said barring any drop in form, selectors should pick Cummins, Starc, and Hazlewood for all five Tests.

Australia lead the series 2-0, and will win back the Ashes if they can secure victory in Perth.

Johnson will be hoping to unleash some magic of his own this summer when he lines up for the Perth Scorchers in their Big Bash League campaign, starting later this month.


2 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world