SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Eels prepare to solve Watmough standoff

Parramatta chief executive Bernie Gurr says the club expects to resolve the Anthony Watmough pay dispute by the new year.

Anthony Watmough
Parramatta expect to have Anthony Watmough's salary dispute resolved in the new year. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Parramatta expect to have Anthony Watmough's salary dispute resolved in the new year as they prepare to consign the rampant tribalism of the past to the dustbin of history.

After a calamitous 2016 NRL season when they found themselves the subject of unwanted headlines all too often, their chief executive Bernie Gurr is upbeat about their future and declared them open for business.

The club is in the middle of negotiating a payout for former Origin and Australian star Watmough following his injury-enforced retirement midway through the year.

"It's still being negotiated. I've met with his manager a couple of times since I kicked my feet under my desk," Gurr told AAP.

"It's on-going. We're hopeful of resolving it early in the new year."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Watmough retired one year into a four-year contract which was due to expire at the end of 2018.

He claims he is owed his contract money for 2018, because the clause for that season was in his favour, however the club argues that he was incapable of playing and therefore not entitled to that portion of his contract.

In a wide-ranging interview Gurr was eager to talk up the club's position after a litany of scandals this year including the salary cap saga, Kieran Foran's exit to address personal issues and domestic violence allegations against Semi Radradra.

The Eels will on Monday reach a major milestone in their governance reform process when nominations for independent board members close.

The Parramatta board was sacked in the wake of their salary cap breaches and an independent committee is set to appoint five independent directors, with the Parramatta Leagues Club to hold the other two chairs.

"They're going to bring terrific expertise and end the factionalism-driven activities that have been around Parramatta's board for about 15 or 20 years. That's an absolutely key brick in the wall," Gurr said.

The Eels are also on the lookout for a new sponsor with Gurr describing them as a sound partner despite recent woes.

"I think we're one of the most compelling major sponsorship propositions in Sydney," Gurr said.

"When you look at the economic development that's happening in western Sydney at the moment ... We're ahead of the Panthers, Bulldogs, Tigers, Greater Western Sydney Giants, Wanderers - no matter what metric you look at, we are still the No.1 in western Sydney.

"We had 23,000 members last year, the most we've ever had and that was in the environment of two years of calamitous headlines."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world