SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Eight Haitians die at sea in US asylum bid

Eight Haitians have died trying to reach the American island of Puerto Rico aboard a boat that people smugglers stole from a tourism business.

1 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The bodies of three more Haitians have been recovered by authorities in the Dominican Republic, raising the death toll to eight from a capsizing of a smuggler's boat last week.

Civil defence chief Leoncio Calderon Castillo says searchers found the bodies of two Haitian men washed up on a beach on Sunday.

Another asylum seeker's body was found in nearby waters where the seven-metre boat capsized.

Last week, a dozen Haitians who took the risky sea journey, looking for a better life, were rescued by the Dominican navy.

Those rescued told authorities the boat left early on Thursday for the US island of Puerto Rico and overturned a few kilometres from shore.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Smugglers had stolen the boat from a tourism business.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world