SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Eight held in anti-terror raids in Belgium

Eight people in Belgium have been arrested after being suspected of planning a terrorist attack.

1 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Belgium has detained eight people during raids linked to an anti-terrorism investigation, prosecutors say.

Police raided seven homes on Sunday in the Brussels district of Molenbeek as well as the Flemish towns of Geraardsbergen and Mechelen, the office of the federal prosecutor said, adding that no weapons or explosives had been found.

"A judge specialised in terrorism matters had asked for the home searches to be carried out," the office said.

Newspaper DH had earlier reported that those being held were suspected of planning a militant attack.

Prosecutors did not give any details, but said the case was not connected to the attacks in Paris of November 2015 - which involved Belgian as well as French gunmen - or the Brussels bombings of March 22.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world