SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

English football shake-up plans abandoned

LONDON (Reuters) - Plans for the biggest shake-up in English football since the introduction of the Premier League have been abandoned after talks between the main participants broke down.

English football shake-up plans abandoned
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

The Football League (EFL) proposed a raft of changes called the Whole Game Solution, including a five-division league - one more than present - with 20 teams in each, and a winter break.

But discussions with the Football Association (FA), the English game's governing body, foundered on a proposal to move FA Cup games to midweek from their traditional weekend slots, the EFL said in a statement on Wednesday.

"If the weekend slots are not available (for league games), then there is simply no way we can meet the financial conditions as outlined at the very outset," said EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Earlier this month, the FA announced a new six-year international broadcasting deal for the FA Cup, with British media reports putting its value at about 820 million pounds.

This made the competition too lucrative to tinker with, from the FA's point of view, and it refused to agree a new calendar for the changes which would have been introduced for the 2019-20 season.

"The stance the FA has adopted has brought the discussions to a premature end before fully understanding what the financial outcome from the creation of a new distribution model could be," added Harvey.

The EFL believes change is necessary to ease fixture congestion, make weekend games more special and help supporters by cutting down midweek travel.

Under the plans, unveiled in May, each club outside the Premier League would have seen their home fixtures reduced from 46 to 38, a contentious proposal that some clubs opposed.

Reacting to the news that the changes would not now go ahead, Julian Tagg, chairman of League Two (fourth-tier) side Exeter City, told the BBC: "Many fans across the country didn't like the idea of change and I think that was the same with our club. I think there'll be a little bit of a sigh of relief."

The FA was not immediately available to comment.

(Reporting by Neil Robinson; Editing by Ken Ferris)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world