SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Equatorial Guinea women's team banned over forged passport

ZURICH (Reuters) - Equatorial Guinea have been kicked out of the 2020 women's Olympic football tournament after a player was found to have used two passports with conflicting details, FIFA said on Monday.

Equatorial Guinea women's team banned over forged passport
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

FIFA's disciplinary committee held the Equatoguinean FA (Feguifut) liable for the use of a "forged or falsified" passport during last year's qualifying tournament for the Rio Olympics.

Football's world governing body said it had found evidence of the use of two passports with different dates of birth for Camila Maria do Carmo Nobre de Oliveira, who took part in several qualifying matches.

"Two birth certificates containing divergent information regarding the player’s parental affiliation were also provided," FIFA said.

The player was banned for the next 10 international matches for which she would be eligible, fined 2,000 Swiss francs ($2,100), warned and reprimanded. Feguifut was fined 40,000 Swiss francs.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Further investigations related to the eligibility of several other players are currently ongoing," said FIFA.

Equatorial Guinea did not qualify for the women's football tournament after losing to South Africa in the final round, having previously beaten Congo and Nigeria two-legged matches.

The West African nation's men's team were kicked out of the 2015 African Nations Cup for fielding a Cameroon-born player who was not eligible to represent them in qualifying matches.

Equatorial Guinea were later given a place in the tournament when they agreed to step in as hosts after Morocco withdrew.

(Writing by Brian Homewood, editing by Ed Osmond)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world