SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Family pray for Texan man on missing plane

The family of a Texas man, an IBM employee, who was on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight are relying on their faith as they wait for news.

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The brother of a Texas man who was aboard the Malaysia Airlines flight that went missing over the South China Sea says his family is leaning on their faith as they wait for news about the man they last saw about a week ago.

Philip Wood, an IBM executive who had been working in Beijing over the past two years, recently returned home from Asia before his next assignment in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Wood came back to Texas to prepare for his move to the Malaysian capital, his brother James Wood said on Sunday.

"There is a shock, a very surreal moment in your life," James said in a phone interview from the family's home in Keller, a Dallas suburb.

"Last Sunday, we were all having breakfast together. And now, you can't," he said, as the family got ready to attend church. Their faith, he said, is what's helping the family through this trying time.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"My brother, our family, we are Christians. Christ above else is what's keeping us together," he said.

Philip Wood, 50, was one of three Americans who were aboard the Boeing 777 when it lost contact with air traffic control as it was cruising on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 227 passengers and 12 crew members. It isn't known with whom the other two Americans, Nicole Meng, 4, and Yan Zhang, 2, were travelling.

A technical storage executive at IBM Malaysia, Wood was "a good, hard worker", his brother said.

James Wood said that his brother is divorced and that one of his sons attends Texas A&M University and another is an alumnus of that university.

He also pointed out that, along with his brother, members of hundreds of other families were aboard Flight MH370.

"This is not a local thing; this is a world thing," he said. "We are one family. There are 240 other families. Our hearts go out to them."

The family has been contacted by the US Department of State and other institutions, Wood added.

The family is watching CNN, BBC and other news stations, waiting for small pieces of information as they trickle down, he said.

But, "with a situation like this, when a plane just disappears ... it leaves you with a lot of questions," he said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world