SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Fanning to make full-time surfing return

Champion Australian surfer Mick Fanning will make his full-time comeback to competitive surfing on the elite world tour.

Mick Fanning
Australian champion Mick Fanning will re-join the elite world surfing tour full-time this year. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Three-time champion Mick Fanning will re-join the elite world surfing tour full-time this year for the first time since being attacked by a shark.

Fanning competed part-time last year following the infamous 2015 incident when he fought off a shark during the J-Bay Open in South Africa.

"It was nice to have 2016 off somewhat and decompress but I'm excited to put the singlet on again," Fanning, 35, said in a statement on Tuesday.

Fanning took the sabbatical after a tumultuous 2015 when he also endured the death of one of his brothers and the end of his marriage.

Fanning admitted the year had taken its toll.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"2015 was a tough year. A lot happened to me on camera and in my personal life," he said.

"I just felt exhausted by the end of it. Fortunately, I was in a position to step away from the tour and have some time to myself."

It was also a momentous break, with Fanning awarded the Order of Australia and enjoying a life highlight when he surfed for leisure under the northern lights in Norway.

But he said he was ready to again test himself against the world's best surfers.

"Like everyone else I'm getting super excited about this year's line-up of surfers," he said.

"It might be the best field from the top seed to number 34 we've ever had.

"I also think it's the biggest group of legit title contenders we've ever seen on the tour ever and I want to be part of the race."

This month's opening round of the elite World Surf League at Snapper Rocks on the Gold Coast will be Fanning's first competition in more than six months.

The 11-stop world tour then heads to Margaret River in Western Australia followed by Victoria's Bells Beach, before competitions in Brazil, Fiji, South Africa, Tahiti, California, France, Portugal and Hawaii.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world