SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Fate of shipwreck orphan hangs in balance

The Department of Immigration is continuing to search for relatives of a boy orphaned in the Christmas Island boat tragedy, with the immigration minister now his official guardian.

asylum_boat_ch10_L_101216_aap_469598214

2 min read

Published

Updated


Skip to article content

There are no plans to provide a boy orphaned in the Christmas Island boat tragedy with an advocate, reports the ABC.

Immigration officials are trying to track down the relatives of the child orphaned in last week's fatal accident.

About 48 Iranian, Iraqi and Kurdish asylum seekers died when their boat smashed apart on rocks in high seas last Wednesday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

However, only 30 bodies have been recovered so far.

Forty-two people survived, including three children who are now orphans.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Immigration and Citizenship on Tuesday said that two of the children are cousins and had been reunited with a family member who also survived the accident, AAP reported.

"We are currently trying to explore as many avenues as we can to identify any family members of that particular child who may be in Australia," the spokeswoman told AAP.

On Wednesday, Peter Richards from the Department of Immigration said it was too early to speculate whether Immigration Minister Chris Bowen was an appropriate guardian for the boy - as is the case under Australian law.

"I think it's very premature to be speculating around what the best answer may be in relation to that child," the ABC reported Mr Richards as saying.

"That is something that we will consider over the coming days and weeks."

Immigration officials are interviewing survivors and sifting through calls logged on the emergency helpline set up following the incident to try to find more information about the child.

People who think they may know someone involved in the disaster can call 1300 724 010 in Australia or +61 39 936 5436 from overseas, 24 hours a day.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world