SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Filming teenagers invaded Mourinho's privacy, say Chelsea

LONDON (Reuters) - Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and his club have strongly refuted suggestions that he intimidated two teenagers who filmed him on a mobile phone in a London street.

Filming teenagers invaded Mourinho's privacy, say Chelsea
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Video footage, taken on the mobile of a 14-year-old Chelsea fan, appears to show Mourinho shoving one of the boys filming him while he walked along in Knightsbridge.

The clip was published by The Sun newspaper, but on Friday Chelsea's chief press officer Steve Atkins, speaking at Mourinho's news conference before Chelsea's Premier League match with West Ham United on Saturday, said the manager's privacy had been invaded.

The Chelsea boss, who regularly walks to his home after games also said he had no respect for newspapers who delved into his private life.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"We have noted the two recent stories concerning Jose being filmed on mobile phones," Atkins said, reading from a statement.

"While Jose understands the laws pertaining to filming in public places, the two teenagers in question followed him from his home for well over 20 minutes and constantly interrupted private phone calls which he and the club believe goes beyond the bounds of reasonable behaviour."

Atkins said Mourinho, who has always spoken warmly of the public reception he receives in London, and the club considered these last two incidents overly intrusive.

"We also note the allegations of intimidation in those stories which Jose strongly refutes and which his legal representatives will continue to monitor closely," he added.

Mourinho, in low-key mood throughout the conference, was asked if any of the visiting South African rugby union players, in London for their World Cup and who visited Chelsea's training ground on Thursday, would benefit his football team.

"You don't get from me funny headlines or answers," he replied.

"I am going treat your bosses the same way they treat me. No respect. No respect, and I am not speaking about football.

"In football I am ready to accept any kind of critic, even the stupid ones, but my private life and stupid things that you being to the light, I don't like it, so we have a different level of professional relations."

(Reporting by Mike Collett, editing by Ed Osmond)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world