Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Fire destroys bikes for MotoGP's electric support series

MotoGP said in a statement that the MotoE World Cup paddock facility caught fire at around 0015, causing major damage and burning "the majority of material".

The series had been due to start at the Spanish Grand Prix circuit on May 5 but MotoGP said a revised calendar for 2019 would be announced.

It said nobody had been hurt in the blaze and an investigation was underway to determine how the fire started.

"It can be confirmed, however, that no motorcycles were charging at the time of the incident in the box in which the fire started," MotoGP said.

MotoE was at Jerez for its second three-day test of the Energica Ego Corsa bikes, which have a maximum speed of up to 270kph and were kept together in an E-paddock for recharging.

Former MotoGP riders, including Spaniard Sete Gibernau, were among those signed up for 15-minute races at five of the MotoGP rounds in Spain, France, Germany, Austria and Italy.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Amlan Chakraborty and Toby Davis)


1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world