Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Fire-hit WA town school closure possible

WA's education minister says there is a remote possibility the small primary school at fire-ravaged Yarloop may not reopen.

There is a remote possibility a primary school that escaped relatively unscathed from a deadly bushfire in Western Australia's southwest last month will not reopen, the education minister says.

Peter Collier said on Monday that Yarloop Primary School's 58 students were attending other schools in the region in the wake of the blaze, which killed two people and destroyed 162 houses.

"They will remain there until we deem it safe for the students to return to Yarloop, then as with all schools, we will assess its viability in the year or the years ahead," Mr Collier told the ABC.

"The school may not reopen but that's a very, very remote possibility."


1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world