SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

First transgender recruit joins the US military, Pentagon confirms

Military officials do not know how many transgender people have begun to enlist since 1 January when the Defence Department began accepting openly transgender recruits.

A group of New Yorkers gathered at Central Park to raise their voices in protest against discrimination towards the LGBT community.
A group of New Yorkers gathered at Central Park to raise their voices in protest against discrimination towards the LGBT community. Source: Getty Images

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters, SBS


Skip to article content

A transgender recruit has signed a contract to join the US military for the first time since a federal court ruled late last year that the military would have to accept openly transgender people, the Pentagon said on Monday.

Military officials do not know how many transgender people have begun to enlist since 1 January when the Defence Department began accepting openly transgender recruits, but this is the first time one has officially signed a contract to join the military.

"(The Pentagon) confirms that as of February 23, 2018 there is one transgender individual under contract for service in the US Military," Major David Eastburn, a Pentagon spokesman, said. 

The person has signed a contract but not yet started basic training.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

In a move that appealed to his hard-line conservative supporters, President Donald Trump announced in July he would prohibit transgender people from serving in the military, reversing former President Barack Obama’s policy of accepting them.

Mr Trump said on Twitter at the time the military "cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail".

A number of federal judges - in Baltimore, Washington, Seattle and Riverside, California - issued rulings blocking Mr Trump's ban.

The judges said the ban would likely violate the right under the US Constitution to equal protection under the law.

Late last year, transgender people were allowed for the first time to enlist in the US military after the Trump administration decided not to appeal the rulings.

Last week, US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis provided his recommendations to the White House on transgender people serving in the military.

Advocates have said they believe dozens, if not hundreds, of transgender people will seek to join an estimated 4,000 already serving.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world