SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Ford starts for England in second Australia test

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - England coach Eddie Jones has restored George Ford to the starting flyhalf role as one of two changes to his run-on team for Saturday's second test against Australia in Melbourne.

Ford starts for England in second Australia test
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Ford had started all of England's matches since Jones took over but was dropped to the bench for last weekend's first test against the Wallabies with Owen Farrell taking the number 10 shirt in Brisbane.

Jones thought better of his selection after half an hour at Lang Park, however, bringing on Ford for Luther Burrell and moving Farrell to inside centre as England overhauled an early 10-0 deficit to run out 39-28 winners.

It was no surprise then that the Australian elected to retain that formation for the second test, in which England will be looking to seal a first series triumph Down Under.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Jones, who has again resisted handing New Zealand-born centre and rugby league convert Ben Te'o a debut spot, said Farrell and Ford remained his best combination.

"Their understanding of the game for 23-24 year-olds is absolutely outstanding," he told reporters in Melbourne on Thursday.

"We get kicking options at 10 and 12. They’re good communicators and they give the team energy."

In the other change to the starting line-up, Jack Nowell came back on the wing for Marland Yarde.

Both men scored tries in the first test but Nowell was preferred on the left wing throughout England's Six Nations grand slam triumph earlier this year.

"Marland’s very disappointed but Jack’s ready to play for us now," Jones added. "I think he’ll do well for us."

Saracens hooker Jamie George, Harlequins loose forward Jack Clifford and Wasps centre Elliot Daly come onto a beefy replacements bench with six forwards and two backs.

Luke Cowan-Dickie, Burrell and Yarde drop out of the squad.

Team: 15-Mike Brown, 14-Anthony Watson, 13-Jonathan Joseph, 12-Owen Farrell, 11-Jack Nowell, 10-George Ford, 9-Ben Youngs, 8-Billy Vunipola, 7-James Haskell, 6-Chris Robshaw, 5-George Kruis, 4-Maro Itoje, 3-Dan Cole, 2-Dylan Hartley (captain), 1-Mako Vunipola

Replacements: 16-Jamie George, 17-Matt Mullan, 18-Paul Hill, 19-Joe Launchbury, 20-Courtney Lawes, 21-Jack Clifford, 22-Danny Care, 23-Elliot Daly

(Additional reporting by Nick Mulvenney in Sydney; Editing by Sudipto Ganguly/John O'Brien)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world