SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Formula E drivers to race video gamers in Vegas event

MONZA, Italy (Reuters) - Ten video gamers will take on Formula E racing drivers in a virtual 'ePrix' in Las Vegas in January with $1 million in prize money to be won, organisers of the electric series announced on Thursday.

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Alejandro Agag, chief executive of the electric racing series, told Reuters the 10 members of the public would secure their places through online qualifying races dubbed the 'Road to Vegas Challenge'.

All 20 regular drivers will join them for the virtual race on a specially designed track that will incorporate the famed Las Vegas Strip.

"The maximum any one person can make is a quarter of a million dollars," said Agag. "And it's probably quite likely that a gamer wins that."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Agag said an original plan to offer one $1 million jackpot had been modified to broaden out the prize money.

"It's good to split the prizes quite a lot because that motivates the gamers more and we want to maximise the participation," he said.

The event will be held at the Mandalay Bay Hotel as part of a Jan. 5-7 sport business and innovation summit within the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

Formula E said competitors will use Playseat simulators with technical systems provided by Cloud Sport who are also organising the qualifying races. (http://roadtovegas.cloudsport.club/index.aspx)

"We believe eSports offers a new level of fan interaction and participation in sport and we want to be at the forefront of this gaming revolution," said Agag.

Many sports, including Formula One which raced in Las Vegas in the 1980s, are experimenting with virtual reality (VR) technology to engage fans and attract new audiences.

Tech giants like Google, Facebook and Samsung are investing heavily in VR with some predicting the immersive technology will have the same effect on television as the internet on newspapers.

Formula E has also mooted the possibility of a virtual race eventually being incorporated in the championship with gamers challenging for points and prize money.

"I think this is probably an experiment," Agag told Reuters in June when the Vegas event was first outlined.

"Depending on how it goes I could envisage that some of these virtual races could give points for a championship in the future but not now."

The third Formula E season starts in Hong Kong in October.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world