SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Four FBI figures in line to replace Comey

Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe is among four names being considered to replace the sacked James Comey.

1 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

President Donald Trump is considering four senior FBI officials to serve as the interim replacement for fired FBI Director James Comey, a White House official has said.

The four candidates include acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, assistant FBI director in charge Paul Abbate, Chicago special agent in charge Michael J. Anderson and Richmond special agent in charge Adam Lee, the official said.

The official said the Justice Department is running the process with job interviews being conducted by Attorney General Jeff Sessions and deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Meanwhile on Wednesday, the New York Times reported that Comey had requested additional funding and personnel for the agency's probe into alleged Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election just days before he was fired.

Comey had asked Rosenstein last week for a significant boost in resources and later briefed US lawmakers on the request, the Times said, citing three unnamed officials.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world