SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

France's armed forces chief resigns

France's defence chief Pierre de Villers has quit his post, citing a dispute over financial constraints.

de Villiers
France's defence chief Pierre de Villiers has resigned following a dispute over budget cuts. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

France's head of the armed forces has resigned after a heated dispute with Emmanuel Macron over defence budget cuts, bringing to a head an early test of the newly elected president's mettle.

In a statement, 60 year-old Pierre de Villiers said on Wednesday he had tried to maintain a defence force able to perform an increasingly difficult job within the financial constraints imposed on it but was no longer able to.

"In the current circumstances I see myself as no longer able to guarantee the robust defence force I believe is necessary to guarantee the protection of France and the French people, today and tomorrow, and to sustain the aims of our country," he said.

Macron had accepted his resignation, de Villiers added.

A fierce row broke out last week between the two men just two months after Macron was elected, and just as France prepared for the military pomp of a July 14 Bastille Day parade where Macron's US counterpart Donald Trump was the guest of honour.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

De Villiers, appearing before a closed-door hearing of parliamentarians - had used strong language to protest at the 850 million euro ($A1.24 billion) defence budget cut Macron was making as part of his efforts to rein in state spending.

"I won't let myself be f*** like that," he said according to two parliamentary sources. "I may be stupid but I know when I am being had."

Macron had gone public with his rebuke. "I have made commitments, I am your boss," he said in a speech to dozens of top army officers and their families.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world