SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Germany arrests Syrian refugee over IS plot

A 24-year-old Syrian refugee has been arrested in Germany over suspicion of planning an Islamic State terror attack.

File photo: German police
File photo: German police Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

German police have arrested a 24-year-old Syrian refugee after receiving a tip-off that he was planning a possible Islamist-motivated attack, state officials in North-Rhine Westphalia say.

Germany, Europe's economic powerhouse and the destination for more than 1.3 million migrants in the last year, is on high alert after two attacks claimed by Islamic State that left several injured and the two attackers dead.

The Syrian man, who was arrested in the neighbouring state of Rhineland-Palatinate on Friday, remains in police custody, the North-Rhine Westphalia interior ministry said in a statement.

"Investigations conducted thus far have found no evidence of a concrete threat," it said.

Earlier, Germany's Bild newspaper said the authorities had arrested what it called "a suspected high-ranking Islamic State militant" in the town of Mutterstadt.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

But a spokesman for the North-Rhine Westphalia interior ministry later told Reuters that "the man arrested was not a high-ranking member" of IS.

German public broadcaster SWR said he was born in Damascus and arrived in Germany as a refugee in early 2016.

It said the state prosecutors office in Duisburg had been observing him as part of an investigation.

Both SWR and Bild said that authorities were investigating a possible attack at the start of the season of Germany's top soccer league, the Bundesliga, on August 26.

"There are indications that something was being planned for the start of the Bundesliga season," an interior ministry official from Rhineland-Palatinate in Mainz was quoted saying.

Bild said in its online edition that the man had been arrested during a police stop.

It said the authorities had received a tip-off about the man from a prison in North Rhine-Westphalia.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world