Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Giants defend staff on injury record

Greater Western Sydney acknowledge they have issues with injuries, but have defended their staff against criticism from Jonathan Brown.

Greater Western Sydney accept they have issues with injuries, but general manager of football Wayne Campbell has defended staff at the club following a broadside from AFL legend Jonathan Brown.

The Giants lost numerous players to injuries last season and have also had an extensive casualty list in the first third of the current campaign.

Speaking on Fox Footy's On the Couch on Monday, former Brisbane forward Brown described the Giants injury list as "disgraceful."

He said it may have already cost them a premiership or might do in the future and questioned the club's program.

"The coach doesn't get off because he's a part of that program and neither do the players," Brown said.

"The players need to look at themselves in the mirror and say 'what am I doing 24-7 to contribute to this?'

"I would question the program that's in place, maybe the strength and conditioning, maybe it's the medico.

"The trend has been going on for far too long, it is beyond bad luck."

Campbell said all injuries were assessed on a daily basis.

"We understand that there's some sort of issue with us getting too many injuries," Campbell told AAP.

"We assess it and we are disappointed by it and we investigate it every day.

"That's the issue that I deal with, not other people's comments.

"We're confident with our our program and the people that we've got, fantastic people, but that's not to say we can't improve either."

The injury list will shorten this week, with key forward Jeremy Cameron set to return for Saturday's home game against West Coast.

Cameron missed last week's away clash with Geelong with a toe injury he carried across the early rounds.

Ruckman Rory Lobb who has been out since round three with bone bruising, will train on Wednesday and could also be in contention to play on the weekend.

Among those still on the injury list are Toby Greene, Tom Scully, Brett Deledio and Josh Kelly.

Across town, Sydney midfielder Dan Hannebery has been ruled out for a third week with a groin injury, but Lance Franklin is some chance of facing his former club Hawthorn at the MCG on Friday.

Franklin has missed Sydney's last two games with a heel injury, but is trending in the right direction and will be tested at training on Wednesday.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world