SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Girl, 3, crushed by NSW cenotaph

A three-year-old Sydney girl who was on holiday with her family has died after being crushed by a stone war monument on the NSW mid-north coast.

An emergency department sign
File image (AAP) Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Bouquets have been laid at the site of a stone war memorial engraved with the words "Lest We Forget" after a three-year-old Sydney girl was crushed to death by the monument on the NSW mid-north coast.

The girl was playing with a group of children at a party at the Black Head Bowling Club at Hallidays Point on Saturday evening when another child climbed onto the sandstone monument, police said.

The rectangular memorial then toppled, crushing the three-year-old against the concrete footpath.

A woman who identified as the young girl's aunt thanked a man who performed CPR after the accident.

"On behalf of the family thank you for all you have done," she posted on Facebook.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I am the little girls Aunty and was there my partner, her uncle, shook your hand, your [sic] a champion."

Locals have been placing flowers at the base of the monument for the little girl, from Airds in Sydney's southwest, who had been attending a family gathering in the coastal town.

Emergency services were called to the club just before 7.30pm on Saturday and the girl was taken to Manning Base Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival, police said.

A report will be prepared for the coroner and look into why the memorial toppled over.

"We can't speculate as to why it fell over ... it appears weight was an influencing factor," NSW Police Superintendent Peter Thurtell told the ABC on Monday.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world