SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Hastings set for Roosters exit

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has indicated Jackson Hastings is likely to leave the NRL club at season's end.

Jackson Hastings of the Roosters
Coach Trent Robinson has indicated Jackson Hastings is likely to leave the Roosters at season's end. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson has indicated out-of-favour playmaker Jackson Hastings is set to leave the Tricolours after the NRL season.

Still contracted for 2017, Hastings, son of Roosters great Kevin, appeared to have a big future at the Roosters after the club opted not to re-sign James Maloney at the end of last year.

The Roosters had backed Hastings to be a long-term halves partner to Mitchell Pearce.

But Hastings has been in and out of Robinson's under-performing side this season and spent the last month languishing in the under-20s, with Robinson preferring fellow youngster Connor Watson at five eighth alongside Pearce.

"Jackson is playing 20s. He has been playing well. He is still spending time with us but we made a decision to have a look at Connor (Watson) at five-eighth and to see how he can play in that position," Robinson said on Wednesday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I have been happy with Connor. I am still talking to Jackson about his game and watching his game.

"We will decide week-to-week on what we need but at the moment we feel Connor is our best option there."

The Roosters have recruited South Sydney premiership winning five-eighth Luke Keary for next season.

As a result Robinson said Hastings' future at the club was under discussion.

"That is stuff that we are discussing with Jackson and his manager. He knows where the lay of the land is with us. He is still contracted for next year," Robinson said.

"It is tough as far as the position goes but he is a quality player and he will have a future in the NRL.

"We recruited Luke to play as a five-eighth and for Connor next year it will be a utility role (to start with) and hopefully he will push his way into a starting role."

Hastings has been linked to a return to his former club St George Illawarra.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world